Bath time: a potent opportunity to promote cognitive and physical development
“Bath time can be so much more than getting clean. Multisensory stimulation rituals can aid in promoting happy and healthy baby development leading to specific benefits such as increased weight gain and bone mass, reduced stress, crying and better quality and quantity of sleep,” shares Dr. Didoy Castañeda, Asia Pacific Medical & Clinical Affairs Director. With opportunities for touch, sight, smell, and sound, the bath is among the key baby care rituals parents can use to nurture baby. “Mahirap pero masaya” (It’s hard but fun!) shared Rica Peralejo-Bonifacio, JOHNSON’S® celebrity mom influencer, when asked about being a mom. “As a first-time mom, you would like to ensure that you are truly hands-on when it comes to taking care of your baby. It’s been a year since Philip came into my life and I can truly say that it has been nothing short of exciting and challenging at the same time. What I truly enjoy are the baby care rituals I share with him, especially bath time. I am happy to know how bath time provides opportune moments for me to stimulate his senses – especially touch and smell – to aide in his total development,” Rica adds.
“Apart from massage, other ways the senses can be activated especially during bath time include the playing of music and games, and the use of fragranced products. Pleasant smells, particularly, when paired with the loving interactions of a parent, can create positive and lasting memories that children will remember for a lifetime. Fragranced products are known to increase infant engagement, helping mothers bond with their babies, and helping babies stay calm and relaxed for a more prolonged period of time,” adds Mr. Arun Viswanath, Asia Pacific, Science & Technology head at Givaudan Fragrances.
“Dramatic growth in a child’s physical, motor, cognitive and social-emotional development is very much dependent on the stimulation a parent provides in the first several years of a child’s life. Touch is a powerful tool to maintain alert state in babies, to calm them or as an attention-getting stimulus. Touch is also a good reinforcer for positive infant behavior and learning,” added Dr. Theresa Hilario-Jimenez, President of the Perinatal Association of the Philippines, sharing the importance of touch or skin-to-skin contact with babies, which are most evident during bath time.
Johnson’s® shares how moms and dads can stimulate their baby’s senses through these baby care rituals. JOHNSON’S® understands that for Filipino parents, their baby’s health and development is of primary importance. This is why we’ve developed sensorial rituals that parents can consistently enjoy doing with their babies. When used with our specially-formulated JOHNSON’S® products, these rituals can unlock the full power of the senses and help baby develop healthily and happily.
We encourage parents to learn more about these rituals, and regularly practice them with their children from birth up until their toddler years. Newborns aged 0-6 months use their five senses to survive. Their senses allow them to feel safe, stable and secure. JOHNSON’S® advocates newborn rituals for sensory security.
4-Step Newborn Bathing Ritual – click here.
2-Step Soothing Nappy Care Ritual – Protects baby from irritation.
- Step 1: Use JOHNSON’S® Baby Skin Care Wipes, which has moisturizing essences that cleans and protects baby’s skin better than water and soap alone.
- Step 2: Before changing baby’s diaper, give baby’s skin complete protection with JOHNSON’S® Baby Complete Care Powder, which effectively absorbs and repels wetness, reduces skin friction, and soothes skin irritation from wearing diapers.
Infants (7 months to 2 years) use their senses to explore for rapid brain development. JOHNSON’S® advocates daily rituals for sensory discovery such as a playful bath of textures, sights and scents, and a calming bedtime routine for better sleep.
4-Step Infant Bathing Ritual –Stimulates baby’s senses to help his development and growth.
- Step 1: Massage baby with JOHNSON’S® Baby Oil to leave a warm protective barrier on his skin.
- Step 2: Cleanse baby with JOHNSON’S® Baby Milk + Rice Bath to nourish his developing skin.
- Step 3: Rinse baby and dry. Lock in the moisture with JOHNSON’S® Baby Milk + Rice Lotion to strengthen growing skin with 200%* more nourishing ingredients.
- Step 4: Apply JOHNSON’S® Baby Powder Milk + Rice on baby’s body, including the nappy area, to complete skin nourishment and keep baby’s skin healthy, soft and smooth.
4-Step Bedtime Ritual –Proven to improve baby’s sleep to help him grow and develop to his full potential.
- Step 1: Massage baby with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Oil with NATURALCALM™ essences that help baby feel calm, relaxed and ready for better sleep.
- Step 2: Bathe baby with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Bath to help your little one let go of the day’s excitement
- Step 3: Rinse baby and dry. Massage with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Lotion to foster mom and baby bonding and sooth & strengthen baby’s skin.
- Step 4: Protect baby from wetness while helping him sleep better with JOHNSON’S® Baby Bedtime Powder.
Children aged 2-5 years use their five senses to build an understanding of everything in the world. Their senses must be stimulated with hands-on activities that are the foundation for learning. JOHNSON’S® advocates sensory mastery, which includes getting ready for play and stimulation of each of the five physical senses.
3-Step Playtime Ritual –Supports growing kid’s healthy sensorial development by making him ready for play
- Step 1: Bathe baby with JOHNSON’S® Baby Active Fresh Bath. Its easy rinse formula is infused with ActiveFresh™ technology that leaves skin clean and smelling fresh all-day.
- Step 2: To let your child play outdoor more pleasantly, use JOHNSON’S® Baby Active Fresh Powder. It contains ActiveFresh™ technology bursts with fragrance upon contact with sweat, for long lasting fragrance all day.
- Step 3: Keep baby smelling fresh with JOHNSON’S® Baby Cologne that instantly energizes with an invigorating scent.
All of these rituals are made possible because every JOHNSON’S® product has Triple Baby Protection, which promises:
- Only the safest ingredients that are proven to be appropriate for babies
- Mild formulations to avoid irritation on baby’s skin
- Effectiveness in helping to keep skin’s natural moisture
We encourage moms and dads to make bath time and the other baby care rituals mean so much more to maximize their happy and healthy development. Make sure to spend more quality time with your babies in these different rituals – massage them more, talk to them more, play with them more – to help nurture their ability to learn, think, love, and grow. I even make new songs and parodies for my baby, I could have had a music platinum award or something. lol
Spend more quality time with babies, especially during bath time. Make bath time mean so much more. To know more about Johnson’s and how you can enhance your baby’s bath time experience, visit www.johnsonsbaby.com/somuchmore.
*About the Survey
The JOHNSON’S® Global Bath Time Report was sponsored by JOHNSON’S® and conducted online by Harris Poll in November 2014 among 3,574 parents of 0-3 year olds aged 21 and older in Brazil, Canada, China, India, Philippines, UK and US (484+ per country and 500 in the Philippines). To access the full survey results, contact us.
About JOHNSON & JOHNSON BRIGHTER FUTURE™
As the Company’s flagship sustainability program in the Philippines, JOHNSON & JOHNSON BRIGHTER FUTURE™ takes a multi-pronged and collaborative approach towards saving and improving the lives of mothers, infants and young children. JOHNSON & JOHNSON BRIGHTER FUTURE™ reflects the Company’s citizenship and sustainability priorities in the Philippines, of addressing maternal and infant mortality, waste management and recycling. It is a commitment to accelerate the achievement of Millennium Development Goals four and five and is also a call for collective action: that together we can and will leave our world a little better than when we found it for the benefit of our Nation’s babies.
For years, JOHNSON’S® has been committed to the happy and healthy development of all babies. Going beyond safe, mild and gentle products, the brand believes in enriching baby care rituals that unlock and release the full power of the senses. Nothing is more important to JOHNSON’S® than ensuring a stimulating start and a vibrant future for babies around the world and empowering families and health care professionals. Because JOHNSON’S® knows, when it comes to bringing up baby, more is more. As the No. 1 baby skin care brand for over 100 years, JOHNSON’S® has been advancing baby science and setting the standards in baby care. JOHNSON’S® offers baby and adult products in over 175 countries.